Oakland Valley Speedway
Race Report by John Sainz
July 27, 2013: Returning to Oakland Valley Speedway after a week off, our racers were treated to one of the best racing surfaces of the season, thanks to John Diotte and his crew. Track was smooth and very fast as the lap times showed. It was also double points night tonight, except for the Slingshot and Champ classes. There were lots of great races in all classes, and this week I wanted to start with the Junior Stock class. There are two of the most outstanding young drivers in this class, racing very hard and exceptionally clean each and every week. Ryan Tani, one of these drivers, had been trying so hard to get his first win over Colin Belanger, coming as close as seeing the checkered flag out of turn four, then not being able to close the deal. Well, this was Flyin Ryan’s night. He looked great in both heats, and was finally able to capture that long awaited win over Colin with a great pass for the lead going into turn three. Congratulations Ryan on a job well done! Ryan also extended his class points lead too. Look forward to many more exciting races between these two young men. In the Mediums class, Dennis Matthews put on a good race in his win over Scott Thomas and Danny Hoeffner. In Senior Clone, Matt Kamna took the win over Wayne Utter. Good to see Wayne back at the track. John DeBarber took the Animal Heavy win. Patrick Kelly was out Lights class driver.
In the Heavys class, Danny Hoeffner was able to hold off Scott Thomas for the win, and Alex the Axeman Wanerus came in third. Kevin Morgan got the win in Senior Stock over Tom Brundage. In Junior 2, Tyler Belanger picks up another win, with Alan Selemba taking second. Our Junior 1 driver was John DeBarber Jr, and our Junior Clone driver was Isaiah Guest, who is steadily improving every time he gets out on the track. Now we just need a few more Clones, Junior and Senior, to get these classes going! Great group of Junior Rookies tonight, as Lane Krupinski, making his Oakland Valley debut, picks up the win, with Joshua Gower taking second and Amber Booth third. Great to see new faces at the track!
In the Junior Sportsman Champ 1 class, perennial winner Robert the Rocket Mattera picked up another win, with Michael Jacques and Johnny Diotte,III battling behind him for the next two positions. Johnny was trying everything he could do get around Michael, but just didn’t have enough to get there. Michael held on for second and Johnny took third. These young drivers really know how to put on a show! In Junior Champ, Anthony Wood looked to be handling well as he picked up his seventh win of the season. Samantha Mattera and Jessica Mattera battled for the second spot, and it was Samantha who took home a second place finish and Jessica was third. In Senior Champ, John Sainz came out of retirement and squeezed into Anthony Woods Champ kart, to take on Glen the Outlaw Varner, in a Champ kart showdown. Glen, driving, or should I say, piloting, his high horsepower racing machine, was up for the challenge. Coming to the green flag, I thought of just taking off on the back stretch to try to get some kind of lead, but, well, I don’t race that way… So, rounding turn four, green flag flies, and I mashed the gas pedal and held off Glen for about I’d say 5 or 6 feet, then he hit the throttle, and all I saw was a cloud of dust. Can’t say that I ever saw Glen again, until he came by and lapped me about the tenth lap. Pretty sure it was him..Think I won the race though, because I told Glen he had to lap me twice…lol Great job Glen! Was fun getting out there again, but was very uncomfortable in a small seat. Very tight! We will duel again!
We are off next weekend, so we hope to see you in two weeks. Stop by the JK Performance Kart shop located along the backstretch wall for all your karting needs. Tires and fuel are available as well as rental karts. Be sure to visit our website and like us on Facebook! See Ralph Corwin of Ralph Corwin Photography for all the pictures from the days events. See you next week!
Great track, great people, best dirt kart track in New York State! Come check it out!!
1. (10) Danny Hoeffner (13.914) fastest lap speed 51.746
2. (28) Scott Thomas (13.987)
3. (54a) Alex Wanerus (14.112)
4. (58) Spencer Kronyak (14.369)
5. (28j) Jonathan Towers (14.290)
1. (77) Patrick Kelly (13.942)
Junior Sportsman Champ 1:
1. (14) Robert Mattera (15.067) fastest lap speed 47.787
2. (95) Michael Jacques (15.155)
3. (22) Johnny Diotte,III (15.077)
4. (18) Daniel Goetz (15.283)
5. (2) Arlen Devantoy (15.325)
1. (6) Dennis Matthews (13.823)
2. (28) Scott Thomas (13.846)
3. (10) Danny Hoeffner (13.766) fastest lap speed 52.303
4. (4) Pat Hayes (14.089)
5. (27) Roger Belanger (14.116)
6. (414) Patrick Dempsey (14.052)
7. (31) Gregg Caldara (13.957)
8. (25) David Crisci (14.023)
1. (72) Kevin Morgan (14.160)
2. (28) Tom Brundage (14.395)
1. (26) Ryan Tani (13.595) fastest lap speed 52.961)
2. (4) Colin Belanger (13.650)
1. (34) Matt Kamna (13.955)
2. (22) Wayne Utter (14.196)
1. (57) John DeBarber (13.871)
DNS (777) Jan Krull
1. (1) Tyler Belanger (14.537) fastest lap speed 49.529
2. (88) Alan Selemba (14.703)
1. (57) John DeBarber Jr
1. (72x) Isaiah Guest
1. (3) Lane Krupinski (16.377)
2. (10) Joshua Gower (16.613)
3. (6) Amber Booth (16.408)
1. (20) Anthony Wood (13.915) fastest lap speed 51.743
2. (04) Samantha Mattera (14.003)
3. (02) Jessica Mattera (14.113)
4. (94) Douglas Goetz (14.556)
1. (53x) Glen the Outlaw Varner (WAY TOO FAST)
2. (20) John inSainz Sainz (not fast enough)
1. (03) Matt DeRitter (14.591) fastest lap speed 49.345
2. (01) Anthony Recchio (14.871)
3. (320) Evan VanValkenburg (15.147)
1. (27) Gavin McClue (17.866)
See you at the track!!
Check our website for more information about our track at oaklandvalleyspeedway.com and like us on Facebook !